Sunday, March 27, 2011

Work is interesting to say the least.

Why is it that whenever I'm talking to someone racist and they reveal to me that they are also religious, I'm not surprised? This very event occured at work a couple of days ago and I guess I need to rant. Kieran can wax lyrical about phisophy and being existentially one with the universe all he likes, but I still have to put up with creationist nutbags who corner me at the Museum. That should be a deterrant for people who believe the earth is 6000 years old, surely! "Over here is our geology section with rocks that date from the formation of the earth, approximately 4.5 billion years ago. (Or 6000 if you don't have a rational brain.)" I know that I am coming across as harsh right about now but I have to put up with this all the time at work.

When I tell people I work at the Museum they always think I'm something smart like a curator. What they don't realise is that, while I give tours and have to undertake a hell of a lot of research, working at the museum is basically like McDonald's without the fries. We still deal with screaming, unsupervised kids except that that's not a lead-infused brightly coloured plastic moulding of a clown they're jumping on...that's a 170 million year old fossil. All I deal with are senile seniors who claim to remember what life was like in the early days of settlement, although to look at some of them I'm not so sure they don't remember the Big Bang! I deal with mental cases who believe that if we could just extract a few hairs from Phar Lap's arsenic riddled hide we could clone him and create a race of super-horses. (This actually happened!) I deal with Toorak Mummies who let their kids run riot before treating them to a babycino at the caff. I deal with school groups whose teachers are even thicker than they are and spend most of their excursion at the cafe whilst their students run around knocking over displays and laughing at Dame Nelly Melba's voice recording. Worst of all I deal with the fact that I endure all of this, despite having a Degree, because I need fodder for my comedy.

With all of this in mind, it should be a good show, if a little dark.

Laura

2 comments: